Wednesday 5 June 2013

Beauty and the Beach part 2 - My entry

Today's post is an entry for a beauty competition held by Travel Supermarket consisting of three categories: hair, make-up, and nails, with the winner(s) receiving a cash prize of up to £1500. You can read more about it here. You have to be quick if you want to enter, as the competition closes tomorrow.
 
First up is the nail entry:
 
When I think of the beach, I automatically think of holidays. To me, a holiday means getting on a plane, flying somewhere exotic and being able to relax whilst sunbathing and listening to the waves crashing on the nearby shore. Besides trying to obtain that golden tan everyone lusts after, my favourite beach scene is at sunset. Not only is it romantic, which I am a sucker for, I find it very peaceful, tranquil, and something I don't see everyday living in central London. So, that is what I opted to recreate for my nail entry.
 
 
I started out by painting my nails with white acrylic paint to give myself a blank canvas. For the sunset background colours I used orange, pink, blue and purple acrylic paint and brushed on using a very watery brush to mix and blend the colours together.
 
 
 
Using 'Black Taxi' by nails inc, I created the silhouette beach once my based coat was dry. I hand painted the designs using very thin nail art brushes and toothpicks. I added touches of white polish and blue and silver glitter to add dimension to the waves.
 
 
I wanted a really shiny finish to the look, so a top coat of Seche Vite was in order.
 
 
 
I know my blog is dedicated to nail art, but I wanted to double my chances of winning a prize, so have decided to enter the hair style competition too.
 
The Hair:
 
To me, nothing says "holiday" more than beach wave curls, so I dug out my GHD straightening irons, some hairspray, and got to work. This is the outcome:
 
 
I divided my hair into several sections, starting at the bottom and working my way to the top to make it easier to work with. For each section, I applied a generous amount of hairspray along the length of the hair. I then clamped the section between the hot straightening irons at the root of the hair and slowly worked my way down to the tips, twisting and turning occasionally to create the soft curls.
 
 
 
I repeated this method to complete the remaining sections of hair. I then rearranged and styled the curls and pinned back a section using a faux flower clip; something I love to do using fresh exotic flowers on holiday.
 
 
 
To secure the look, give it another spritz of hairspray, allow to set and you are good to go.

 
 


What do you think?

Until next time...

Laura-Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment