Thursday 11 April 2013

Surf's up...

I have recently been craving a holiday. For those of you who know me (or read my last post) it is one of the things in life I enjoy the most. Maybe it is because of the lack on sun here in the UK, the hectic workload, or the fact I just love holidays, but I really long to just get away and enjoy basking in the sunshine.
 
As I am waiting an operation date, a holiday doesn't look likely; so to satisfy my craving of the soft white sand, the radiating warmth of the sun on my skin and the gentle sound of crashing waves shimmering under the soft moonlight and stars, whilst taking an evening stroll on the beach, I have come up with this manicure.
 
 
To start, I painted my nails with two coats of 'Sweet as Sugar' by Rimmel London, then topped if off with Seche Vite's fast drying top coat.
 
 
 
Once the nails were dry, I could then start the fun bit by creating the wave detail. To do this I used some new nail polishes, which were a gift from my Mum. Unfortunately, they don't have nail polish names, which is a bit disappointing. As in my opinion, a good catchy name of a nail polish is half the fun of nail art. I used nail art fine liner polishes by a company called 'Fraulein'. I got a big box of them in an array of colours and chose the below to create my waves.
 
 

The waves are really simple to do. With a steady hand, create an arc shape and fill in with your main wave colour. Then, with different shades of blues, pearls and glitter, blend them together until you have the desired effect. Then top this off with another coat of Seche Vite and allow to dry.
 
 
Now, all that is left to do is to add the piece de resistance; the wave breaks. This is the most satisfying, as it really does complete the look. For this I used 'Matte White' by Barry M and a sponge.
 
 
 
 
The sponge I used was a great find. I bought it as part of a paint set just before Christmas, as I was making some salt dough Christmas decorations. The best bit is that the entire paint set, sponge included, was only £1! The little sponge is just the right size to create some great nail art effects and is also on a stick, which makes handling the tool so much easier. All you need to do is blob some white polish onto your work surface, then with the corner of the sponge, collect a tiny amount of polish, dab off the excess and sponge on the wave break, making sure you cover part of the wave too.
 
 
Allow to dry, and complete the look with yet another coat of Seche Vite fast drying top coat.
 
There you have it. A little bit of ocean on the tip of your fingers. It even makes me want to go surfing, although that sporting activity generally isn't on the top of my agenda when on a relaxing vacation.
 
 
 
April is also Autism awareness month, so the blue manicure ties in nicely (blue is the main colour of their cause). If you would like to read more about this cause, you can do so here.
 
What do you think?
 
Until next time...
 
Laura-Jane

1 comment:

  1. Very ute-You will be jealous, I just came back from Florida!

    ReplyDelete